Lake Swimmer Information
Women Swimmin' is a non-competitive, community swim that depends on the cooperation and good will of all involved for its success. On August 11, 2018 over 300 Lake Swimmers, 175 Boaters and countless Volunteers will come together for this unique fundraising event!
The impact of your swim will be felt by our patients and their families throughout the year. The funds you raise enhance our ability to provide the comfort measures our patients and families need, both in hospice and in our palliative care program. These donations also underwrite bereavement and educational services for the community.
Registration for Lake Swimmers opened on Monday, May 7, 2018. We have reached our maximum of 350 Lake Swimmers, and have stopped registering Wait List Swimmers.
All swimmers must be at least 18 years of age on the day of the swim. As a Lake Swimmer for Women Swimmin', you agree to:
- Pay a non-refundable $25 registration fee which counts toward the fundraising minimum of $200. You will have a personal fundraising page and will be able to easily gather donations from your friends and family in support of Hospicare, no matter where they live!
- Raise an additional $175 (total $200) by Friday, August 10. There is a confirmation date on July 11, 2018, at which point we will check in with any swimmers who have not reached their fundraising minimum to confirm that they still plan to participate and have the tools and information they need to be successful in reaching their fundraising goals.
- Swim accompanied by a boat, and follow the rules outlined by Hospicare and the Women Swimmin' Committee, including, but not limited to, not entering the water unless specifically directed to do so.
- Cross the Lake on your own volition.
- Let us know if you realize at any point that you won't be able to participate in the swim across the Lake. Perhaps you'd want to swim laps instead! Either way, your personal fundraising page will remain active, so your friends and family can still donate in your honor to support Hospicare.
Wait List Swimmers
We maintain the Wait List of swimmers through July 11. When one of the Lake Swimmers cancels, we contact a swimmer on the Wait List to take her place. While we can't guarantee that every swimmer on the Wait List will be offered a chance to swim, in the past three years all the swimmers on the Wait List were offered a spot as a Lake Swimmer.
Let the training begin! Training in a pool is important, especially when the lake is too cold. Remember though, pool swimming and lake swimming are very different and nothing beats training in the lake. Please try to get in the lake as often as you can before August 11.
Here are a couple Cayuga Lake spots for you to try:
And one local pond:
- Yaman Park in Cortland
Looking for a local pool? Here's a handy list:
- BorgWarner Pool (for members of Lifelong)
- Ithaca Municipal Pools: Cass Park Pool and Alex Haley Pool
- Ithaca Swim Club (membership required)
- Wickwire Pool in Suggett Park, Cortland, Laps membership required to swim 6:00-8:00 a.m.
Indoor Pools All pools are 25 yards long unless noted*
- Cornell University Wellness Program pools (day passes available)
- Island Health and Fitness (day passes available)
- YMCA of Ithaca & Tompkins County ($35 per month membership available)
- Cortland County Family YMCA ($25 pool membership available through August 11)
- The YWCA Cortland ($3 pool passes and $6 full facility passes available) *Note: this pool is 20 yards long and heated to 89 degrees
- TC3 (day passes available)
Special Training Sessions:
Swim Mastery Program, Level 1
Women Swimmin' supporter and Total Immersion Master Coach Shane Eversfield will be offering a special 8-week Swim Mastery Program on Tuesdays beginning May 15. This edition is timed to support Women Swimmin' registrants prepare and train. The program focuses on efficient technique for sustainable, enjoyable swimming, using Total Immersion Swim methods. Many Women Swimmin' swimmers have taken Shane's training courses and found them very helpful in training for the swim across the Lake!
The fee is $160 for members of Island Health and Fitness, or $180 for non-members. For more information on this program including how to sign up, visit Shane's website.
More Training Tips:
Training Tips for Women Swimmin'
tips compiled by one of our veteran swimmers
A Lazy Swimmer's Guide to a Safe and Comfortable Swim
Jill Freidmutter is a long-time participant in Women Swimmin' and a Hopsicare staff member. She has compiled this self-titled guide to let you know that if she can do it, so can you!
Choppy Water Swimming Tips
This instructional video outlines the skills you need to swim comfortably in rough and choppy open water conditions. Please note that if conditions are too choppy, the Women Swimmin' Safety Team has the authority and responsibility to cancel the swim. Also, if an individual swimmers feels conditions are too rough for her skills, she can ask to leave the swim at any time. This is a community swim, not a race or competition, and no one will be forced to continue if she's not able!
Key Dates and Times for Swimmers
|Monday, May 7||Registration for Lake Swimmers began. We have reached our max of 350 swimmers and are no longer registering Wait List Swimmers.|
|Wednesday, July 11||Last day of the Wait List and the swimmer confirmation date. We ask that all swimmers raise their $200 minumum by this day or contact Hospicare to confirm their participation.|
|Wednesday, July 18||Last day to request to swim with a specific swimmer or have a particular escort boater. These requests can be made through your Participant Center.|
|Thursday, August 9||Swimmer Packet Pick-up at Hospicare, 5:00-7:00 p.m.|
|Friday, August 10||Swimmer Packet Pick-up at Hospicare, 3:00-6:00 p.m.|
|Saturday, August 11||Swim Day!|
For more information visit the Event Details page