Laps Swimmer Information
Women Swimmin' Laps for Hospicare was added to the event in 2015 as a new opportunity for women to swim any distance, in any pool with a certified lifeguard to fundraise for Hospicare. Laps Swimmers can swim anytime between March 15 and Lake Swim Day, August 11. All Laps swimmers must be women over the age of 18 and must complete their swim in a pool with a certified lifeguard.
- All Laps swimmers must be women over the age of 18
- All Laps swimmers agree to swim in a pool with a certified lifeguard
- Let us know your goals and location
- Lap swimmers must pay a non-refundable $25 registration fee*. A minimum fundraising goal of $200 is encouraged
- You will have a personal fundraising page and will be able to easily gather donations from your friends and family in support of Hospicare no matter where you swim!
- If you are unable to sign up online, you can register between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday in person at Hospicare or by calling us at (607) 272-0212. The printable registration form is available here.
- Cornell University Wellness Program pools (day passes available)
- Island Health and Fitness ( 1/2 price day pass for registered swimmers)
- YMCA of Ithaca & Tompkins County ($35 per month memberships available)
- Cortland County Family YMCA ($25 pool membership available for Laps)
- The YWCA Cortland ($3 pool passes available, and $6 full facility passes ) *Note: this pool is 20 yards long and heated to 89 degrees
- TC3 (day passes available)
22 weeks, 100 yards a week = 1.2 miles across the lake!
One option that lap swimmers of all ability levels may want to try is to swim the 1.2 miles that our lake swimmers complete on Lake Swim Day. Just 4 lengths of a 25 yard pool per week between March 15 and August 11 will add up to a distance equal to the Cayuga Lake crossing. Women who are already in the pool for aquatic exercise classes can come early or stay late to swim a length or two, and before the end of the summer they can earn their 1.2 stickers while raising funds for compassionate care.
How to Get Started
|Click here for a printable poster|
Registration for Women Swimmin' Laps opens on March 15, 2018 and continues until August 11, 2018. Laps Swimmers are encouraged to register online through this site. Just click one of the registration buttons on our Home Page to get started! Here's some information about the registration process:
We are excited to be able to carry on the tradition of Women Swimmin' for Hospicare and also offer this new way to participate in the event and help support Hospicare. Those swimmers who do raise $200 or more will receive a Women Swimmin' t-shirt and are invited (and encouraged!) to join us for a complimentary breakfast at the Ithaca Yacht Club on Lake Swim Day, August 11. Those who raise $500 and $1000 by August 10 will receive special gifts at Packet Pick-up at Hospicare, August 9 and 10.
* Cortland Y and Ithaca Y members who receive a scholarship for their membership may register at their Y at no cost.
Looking for a local pool for your Laps swim? Here's a handy list:
All pools are 25 yards long unless noted*